Okanagan Paddlefest is finally upon us!
The first-time festival will take place on Saturday, August 10 at various locations around downtown Peachland, and will include a wide variety of events for people of all ages.
The festival is being held to celebrate the history of paddling in Peachland and to engage individuals and teams in a paddling sport.
The event will include a war canoe demonstration, dragon boat races, kayak races, stand up paddling races, various activities for children and youth, live music and a parade of boats to close the festival.
To add to the activity, Okanagan Paddlefest will coincide with the annual Rattlesnake Island Swim, which will take place in the morning and wrap up just as Paddlefest is getting underway.
To accommodate Okanagan Paddlefest on Saturday, August 10 the following parking restrictions will be in effect:
• Beach Avenue – Beach side parking from Strachans Corner to Rotary Clock Tower (approximately 8th Street to 3rd Street);
• Beach Avenue in front of the Primary School building; and
• Peachland Community Centre parking lot.
District staff are asking residents and visitors to be considerate of no parking signs.
Two premier aquatic events will be happening on Saturday, August 10:
• Peachland Rattlesnake Island Swim – 7 a.m. – 11 a.m. – Between Rattlesnake Island and Swim Bay as swimmers and support boats will be in the open water; and
• Okanagan Paddlefest – 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Along the shore of Peachland from 13th Street (Bliss Bakery) through the public use day wharf. Various non-motorized boats will be along the foreshore participating in various activities
All boaters are asked to exercise extreme caution on the water at the above locations.
Boat launch closure:
• For safety and event management, the boat launch at the Yacht Club (Beach Ave and 8th Street) will closed to the public from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. The T-boat launch at Highway 97 and Princeton will be open.
For full information about today’s Okanagan Paddlefest event see Okanaganpaddlefest.com or view a schedule and map of events at www.peachlandview.com/2013/08/08/paddlefest-guide-2013/